138302 - ASCIA Allergy and Anaphylaxis e-training for Health Professionals
- : Online
This online education was developed by allergy specialists in consultation with GP members to provide accurate and consistent training in allergy for health professionals nationwide.
It includes modules on the management of anaphylaxis, food allergy, allergic rhinitis and allergen immunotherapy for respiratory and insect allergy.
ASCIA is the peak professional body of clinical immunology and allergy in Australia and New Zealand. Our mission is to advance the science and practice of allergy and clinical immunology by promoting the highest standard of medical practice, training, education and research to improve the health and quality of life of people with allergic diseases.
Relevance to General Practice
Allergic diseases are amongst the fastest growing chronic disease and public health issues in Australia. Almost 20% of the Australian population has a confirmed allergy and this prevalence is increasing. Hospital admissions for anaphylaxis have increased 4-fold in the last 14 years. Recent studies show that 10% of infants have an immediate food allergy.
GPs play a central role in the long-term management of patients with anaphylaxis. An annual review with a regular family doctor is an important aspect of ongoing care.
Management of allergy is based on the identification of the allergic triggers, education of patients and their caregivers and the development of an individual emergency action plan if accidental allergen exposure occurs.
- Explain the optimal treatment for the acute management of anaphylaxis and demonstrate how to use the prescribed adrenaline (epinephrine) autoinjector.
- Identify the common causes of anaphylaxis and understand the role of GPs in the diagnosis of allergy to assess and manage risk.
- Develop an allergy management plan including patient education on the avoidance of allergens and the correct use of the ASCIA Action Plans.
- Identify appropriate pharmacotherapy options for allergic rhinitis and appropriate referral to an allergy specialist.
- Understand when to refer a patient to an allergy specialist for allergen immunotherapy and provide the safe administration of maintenance injections.