165968 - The Advance Project for GPs: Initiating Advance Care Planning and Palliative Care
- : Online
To explore the role of the GP in advance care planning (ACP) and palliative care and explain how evidence-based tools can be used to initiate ACP and assess patients and carers' palliative/supportive care needs. The event will discuss how specialist palliative care services can support GPs and how they can initiate ACP discussions and assess palliative care needs using the advance guide.
Relevance to General Practice
Please see attached.
- Describe a systematic approach to initiating ACP and assessing patients' and carers' palliative and supportive care needs
- Describe the benefits and role of general practice in ACP and early identification and assessment of patients' palliative and supportive care needs
- Identify and screen patients and carers who may benefit from an ACP and/or a palliative and supportive care needs assessment
- Evaluate patients' and carers' concerns, symptoms, questions and priorities identified through a structured ACP and/or supportive care needs assessment
- Identify patients who could benefit from referral to specialist palliative care and explain the benefits of this referral to them