104581 - Surgical Office Skills
- : Online
To enhance the clinical and procedural skills required in the office setting.
Relevance to General Practice
Practicing in relative professional isolation, rural GPs sustain significantly greater workload than their metropolitan counterparts. They are more likely to be in solo practice and practising significantly more procedural and emergency medicine than those in metropolitan areas. This course aims to enhance the clinical and procedural skills required to work in such as setting. in the office setting.
- Demonstrate basic local anaesthesia techniques and recognise precautions required.
- Undertake surgery on skin lesions demonstrating the principles of elliptical excisions, margins, tissue planes, haemostasis.
- Demonstrate subcuticular, deep, and mattress suturing techniques for wound closure.
- Appropriately manage ingrowing toenails both conservatively and operatively.
- Recognise personal limitations in these areas by identifying which cases needed to be referred to an appropriate specialist keeping a referral database.