110313 - check, unit 542, Adolescent health, September 2017
This edition of check considers the management of various conditions related to adolescent health in general practice.
Relevance to General Practice
Adolescence is a period of significant change for young people, and involves physical, cognitive, emotional and social development. General practitioners (GPs) are therefore ideally placed to address healthcare issues during this important developmental phase.
- Describe the approach to obtaining a psychosocial history in a consultation with an adolescent patient
- Identify signs and symptoms of autism spectrum disease in adolescents
- Discuss issues around consultations with adolescents, including patient confidentiality and seeing adolescents in the absence of their parents
- Discuss the management of adolescents with eating disorders
- Summarise the assessment and management of adolescents with acne