123333 - Ultrasound in Right Upper Quadrant Pain
- : Online
The content and objectives of this “Ultrasound in Right Upper Quadrant Pain” course was structured to accommodate training requirements in essential ultrasound techniques in emergency medicine. This course assumes somewhat knowledge on ultrasound principles and requires accomplishment of pre-reading material and pre-course test. Overall, the course has three main components as described in the course syllabus below:
1. Review of physical principles of ultrasound and probe manipulation
2. Renal tract
3. Biliary tract
Relevance to General Practice
Point of care ultrasound machine has being widely applied by clinicians in critically ill patients [1, 2]. There are several protocols utilized to evaluate critically-ill patients. These protocols can be learnt in block or in modules and are scope of practice for general clinicians, emergency and critical care physicians in Australia and the USA. Numerous articles had demonstrated the applications and benefits of portable ultrasound machine assessing the biliary tract, kidney and urinary tract in right upper abdominal pain. The aim of this course is to apply ultrasound techniques in this clinical scenario.
- Identify the parameters of safe application of ultrasound in medical diagnosis;
- Identify the physical principles, artefacts and the steps for image optimisation while performing ultrasound in emergency medicine;
- Recognise the sonographic appearances of normal and abnormal structures required to answer common clinical questions;
- Practice "hands on" ultrasound scanning skills required to maximise diagnostic ability in answering relevant clinical questions;
- Perform Renal & Biliary Tract scanning protocols.