135815 - Introduction to Medicinal Cannabis
- : Online
This seminar serves as an introduction to medicinal cannabis for medical practitioners and aims to provide a basic understanding of the therapeutic properties of medicinal cannabis and its potential application in chronic pain management, palliative care, CINV, and epilepsy.
This course aims to provide medical practitioners with a basic understanding of the endocannabinoid system, pharmacology, mechanisms of action, adverse effects, drug interactions, dosing strategies and the prescribing process in Australia.
On completion of this seminar, medical practitioners will develop the necessary skills to confidently assess and advise patients regarding the suitability of medicinal cannabis based on each individual case.
Relevance to General Practice
There is a growing need for professionally developed medicinal cannabis education for Australian GPs. Stemming from the newly passed federal and state legislation, its widespread potential use cases in general practice, the increasing demand among patients and the current gap of professional education as well as formal guidance for GPs on the subject. Australia introduced legislation in 2016 that down schedules cannabis-based therapeutic products to schedule 8 and 4 depending on cannabinoid profile. This allows cannabis products to be obtained through prescription for the first time since prohibition. Realising public demand for medicinal cannabis and the difficulties GPs face in relation to this, several government services have been developed such as the NSW cannabis medicine hotline which provides some preliminary guidance. The changing legal sphere and increasing public demand add new challenges for GPs who need to be aware of the legislative requirements and access schemes.
- Develop good understanding of the therapeutic properties of medicinal cannabis
- Differentiate between adverse and therapeutic effects of medicinal cannabis
- Identify the clinical applications of medicinal cannabis in General Practice
- Explore the current and potential future treatment landscape in Australia and current legislation including prescribing, access, and the Special Access Scheme
- Develop a good understanding of the patient management and monitoring requirements to ensure patient safety during cannabis treatment