191984 - Guiding families through the first year of life
- : Online
North Coast GP Training (NCGPT) invites general practitioners, primary health nurses and allied health professionals are invited to attend this free interactive workshop focussed on assisting families during the first year of life.
Relevance to General Practice
Primary care clinicians have a key role in assisting families during the first year of life. Services for young children and their families are often fragmented and difficult to access in regional and rural Australia. Parents often report receiving conflicting advice from varying practitioners.
Another reason for the need is there has been little education offered to clinicians in the region on this topic over the past few years. This multidisciplinary event has been designed to offer evidence based information that will assist local practitioners to be able to offer best possible care for young children and their families. A senior educator from Tresillian, Australia’s largest child and family health organisation providing expert parenting advice to families during the early years, has been engaged to present at the event. There will also be a panel of local subject matter experts at each event, along with a HealthPathways presentation on local referral pathways.
- Explain sleep as a developmental process through focus on the parent-child relationship
- Recognise signs of parent child relationship issues/concerns
- Promote a secure parent-child relationship
- Refer appropriately in cases of: • Sleep disturbance • Feeding problems • Parent=child relationship issues/concerns • Parenting issues/concerns and apply mandatory reporting requirements
- Use HealthPathways to assist with management of children during the first year of life.
- Domains of General Practice
D1. Communication skills and the patient-doctor relationship
D2. Applied professional knowledge and skills
D3. Population health and the context of general practice
D4. Professional and ethical role
D5. Organisational and legal dimensionsCurriculum Contextual Units
- Children and young people health
North Coast GP TrainingThis activity is also available on these dates
Nightcap Restuarant at Wollongbar TAFE Sneaths Road Wollongbar
Pacific Bay Resort Cnr Pacific Highway & Bay Drive Coffs Harbour
Glasshouse Port Macquarie Cnr Clarence & Hay Street Port Macquarie