91122 - Pharmacological Updates for General Practice
- : Online
Online learning module with an original peer-reviewed update on detecting and managing over-the-counter analgesic addiction (codeine dependence).
Relevance to General Practice
- In recent years, the misuse of codeine has been reported in many Australian and New Zealand case series.
- Addiction to combination codeine-containing products is associated with potentially life-threatening gastrointestinal, hepatic and renal complications.
- Effective treatment of codeine dependence can be initiated and maintained by GPs.
- Specific questioning about use of OTC medicines for pain is key to identifying and managing a codeine-related opioid use disorder.
- Recognise patients at risk of OTC codeine dependence
- Recognise adverse effects from high dose codeine-containing combination analgesics
- Discuss codeine dependence with patients
- Document over-the-counter analgesic use to increase detection of codeine dependence