Administration of Blood Products
- : Online
Administration of blood and blood products is recognised as a high risk area of patient care. The importance placed on safe practice related to this area is reflected in the fact that safe administration of blood and blood products feature as a criterion in the Australian Council on Healthcare Standards (ACHS) accreditation, standards and guidelines – EQuIP 5 and, as a standard in the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care National Safety and Quality Health Service (NSQHS) Standards.
This program is designed to refresh knowledge regarding safe administration of blood and blood products, and has been written to cater for a range of environments including rural and remote settings, which face unique challenges when administering blood and blood products to patients.Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- State the requirements for appropriate prescription of blood & blood components.
- Briefly discuss how patient education and consent can be achieved.
- Outline the sample collection process including correct sample handling, patient identification and documentation processes.
- Discuss safe storage and transportation strategies when dealing with blood and blood components in a rural context.
- Discuss the correct administration of blood and blood components and the nursing management of patients
- Identify adverse reactions to blood and blood components and discuss the management of these reactions.
This fun interactive online nurse education program is suitable for enrolled nurses and registered nurses who require their CPD (continuing professional development).