Advanced Certificate of General Dermatology
- : Online
GPs are confronted with common skin, nail and hair conditions on a regular basis as patients have limited access to dermatologists. In fact, the largest organ of the human body makes up 15 percent of general practice consultations on a day-to-day
basis. Undergraduate dermatology training is minimal in many medical schools and without additional education in general dermatology, GPs are often underequipped to handle common presentations.
Presented by noted dermatologists, the Advanced Certificate of General Dermatology will increase your clinical knowledge, teach you how to assess more complex and rare cases and make differential diagnoses for various dermatological conditions.COURSE CONTENTS
The certificate course offers richly illustrated clinical examples and opportunities for interactive discussions on the cases provided and covers various dermatology conditions.
The theory sessions cover:
Course participants will:
- Have the opportunity to replay video lectures from medical experts.
- Participate in discussions of patient cases, evaluate and make decisions.
- Receive a comprehensive course folder and research/readings in the field.
- All presentation slides available for download.
- Participate in course webinars prior to the examinations and ask questions.
- Receive unlimited and ongoing access to free alumni learning resources, video lectures, and discussion forums, as well as invite-only events and special offers after completion of the course.
- Receive ongoing support post-course through webinars and case reviews.
- Have the opportunity to participate in optional clinical attachments at dedicated dermatology clinics.
Module 1: Dermatological emergencies, vitiligo and skin infestations – Dr Christopher Ross
You will learn to recognise and manage dermatological emergencies including erythroderma, drug reactions, necrotising fasciitis, staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome, meningococcal infections, and SJS/TEN. In the second section of this module, you will learn about vitiligo including new and emerging therapeutic modalities in treating these autoimmune disorders. In the third section, you will learn to identify parasitic diseases including scabies, strongyloidiasis stercoralis, strongyloides, cutaneous larva migrans, schistosomiasis, leishmaniasis, and the recommended treatment for these conditions.
Module 2: Treatment of dermatomyositis and sarcoidosis – Prof Richard Usatine
You will learn to describe and manage the different types of systemic treatments for dermatomyositis and sarcoidosis and also learn how to minimise the osteoporosis effects when using long term prednisone. You will also learn how to monitor for side effects when using these systemic medications.
Module 3: Systemic treatment options for psoriasis and lichen planus – Prof Richard Usatine
You will learn the systemic treatment options for psoriasis and lichen planus, collect patient clues to determine which treatment options are best for the patient, and compare the pros and cons of various treatments.
Module 4: Systemic treatment for atopic dermatitis, and the differential diagnosis and treatment of acne - A/Prof Caterina Longo
You will improve your ability to accurately diagnose and manage cases of atopic dermatitis, recognise differences in infant, childhood and adult presentations of atopic dermatitis, and learn to diagnose and manage conditions associated with and sometimes confused with atopic dermatitis.
Module 5: Patch testing, contact dermatitis and cutaneous lymphomas – Dr Christopher Ross
You will learn the role of patch testing, how to interpret results, how to differentiate between allergic and irritant contact dermatitis, and how to manage these conditions. You will understand the role of patch testing with cutaneous lymphomas, compound and other allergies, and complications that may occur with patch testing. You will increase your knowledge of the common primary cutaneous T-cell lymphoma, mycosis fungoides, sezary sundrome, lymphomatoid papulosis, primary cutaneous B-cell lymphoma, and leukaemia cutis.
Module 6: Cicatricial alopecia and rare nail disorders – Dr Zoe Apalla
You will learn about diseases resulting in nail changes including Beau’s lines, onychomadesis, nail pitting, onychorrhexis, pterygium, trachyonychia, true leukonychia, koilonychia, onycholysis, onychauxis, splinter haemorrhages, discolouration, clubbing, onychogryphosis, median canaliform dystrophy, ingrowing toenail, paronychia, subungual haematoma, pincer nails, and tumours of the nail bed. You will also learn about alopecias, understand their causal factors, and learn how to manage these conditions.
Module 7: Hidradenitis suppurativa and bullous pemphigoid – Dr Jonathan Karnes
You will learn how to diagnose hidradenitis suppurativa including identifying risk factors, make treatment decisions and monitor combination antibiotic therapy and biologic therapy safely. You will learn to identify associated disorders and syndromes. In the second section of this module, you will learn to determine the correct steps to differentiate blistering disorders and make treatment decisions for patients with blistering disorders.
Module 8: More challenging cases - Dr Christopher Ross
You will review various challenging dermatology cases, recognise their causal factors, and learn to diagnose and manage more complex dermatological conditions.ONLINE START STUDIES ANYTIME
|*Special rates for upfront registrations for multiple courses within the same pathway.|
$640 x 3
$605 x 6
$645 x 8
|Defer your payments over several months.|
GP REGISTRARS: Doctors in training receive a HealthCert Scholarship and save up to $350 on online certificate courses and up to $500 on certificate courses that include a practical workshop. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with the Early Bird special.MEET YOUR INSTRUCTORS
Your instructors are widely regarded as some of the world’s foremost specialists in skin cancer medicine and business management, including:
Prof Richard P. Usatine
Professor of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery, University of Texas, USA
Founder and Medical Director, University Health System Skin Clinic, USA
A/Prof Caterina Longo
Scientific Coordinator, Skin Cancer Unit, ASMN-IRCCS, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy
Dr Christopher M Ross
BSc(BiomedSc)(Hons) BMBS FACD
Dr Jonathan B. Karnes
Dr Zoe Apalla
Consultant Dermatologist, State Hospital for Skin and Venereal Diseases, Thessaloniki, GreeceCOURSE DELIVERY AND ASSESSMENT
We offer a ‘start anytime online’ course structure, which gives flexible start and completion times for studies, as well as exam extensions, to fit in with busy schedules. Participants can enjoy the flexibility to study at their own pace, in their own time, within their home or office, and on their favourite mobile device. The online modules are set up in such a way that participants are not required to be online at specific times but can view and replay the video lectures at their convenience. The webinars offer the opportunity to join and interact with the presenters online in real-time but can also be viewed later. There are no face-to-face requirements for exams which can be conveniently completed online within six months of the start of a cohort. With no travel, accommodation or out-of-office expenses incurred, participants can build critical skills and tailor their career while working in a busy practice or raising a family.
This is course is delivered online in eight modules over 15 weeks, with 12 weeks of teaching followed by three weeks for revision and final examinations. The course includes online presentations from experts in the field followed by patient case discussions and decision-making. There is a final webinar prior to examinations.
The course includes:
- Digital workbook including all presentation slides.
- Access to additional learning resources, reference materials and video lectures.
- Reading list with references to peer-reviewed journal articles to keep up-to-date with developments in the field.
- 12 months' web-based support with the opportunity to ask the instructors questions while you implement your learning.
In order to meet the requirements of professional and academic learning, the course assessment includes professional requirements and two online examinations.
- Develop a one-page report/explanation of how you will use the learning from this course in your professional work.
- Compile a report listing the resource materials that you have collected to advance and apply your knowledge.
- 88 knowledge questions based on a scenario of a medical practitioner undertaking special interest training.
- 11 per module
Example: The medical practitioner believes that 10% of the population … Is he correct? Yes/No
- 11 per module
- 88 authentic scenario based questions based on cases of patient care at a clinic
- 11 per module
Example: A patient arrives at your clinic with this problem … What should you do? Multiple choice images based on patient cases.
- 11 per module
The knowledge-based examination is worth 50 per cent and the application-based examination is worth 50 per cent. The overall pass mark is 80 per cent. It is therefore not possible to pass this course on knowledge alone. Knowledge must be successfully applied to patient cases in order to pass the course.
HealthCert recommends completion of the assessment at your convenience within six months of the start of a cohort.CERTIFICATION AND ACCREDITATION
Upon successful completion of the course requirements, course participants will receive the Advanced Certificate of General Dermatology certificate and below points.
RACGP CPD Accredited Activity 40 Points
ACRRM - PDP units: 43 Educational activity, 8 Performance review
This advanced certificate:
- Provides CPD points from the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP).
- Provides PDP points from the Australian Council of Rural and Remote Medicine (ACRRM).
- Is recognised by the Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners (RNZCGP).
- Is recognised by the Hong Kong College of Family Physicians (HKCFP). The HKCFP recognises all courses
endorsed by the RACGP. Points are calculated differently.
- Is a self-submitted activity in Dubai. The number of CPD points must be stated on the certificate. Please contact PLDdhcr.gov.ae for more information.
- Is a self-submitted activity in the UK. CPD events overseas, applicable to a doctor’s scope of practice, may be submitted for revalidation. Please confirm with your Responsible Officer.
- Is a self-submitted activity in Canada through the College of Family Physicians of Canada. Category 1 points are reported as certified and Category 2 points are reported as non-certified. Contact mainprocreditscfpc.ca for more information.
- Meets World Federation of Medical Education standards.
- Is quality-assured by Bond University.
- Is recognised by the Hong Kong College of Family Physicians (HKCFP). The HKCFP recognises all courses endorsed by the RACGP. Points are calculated differently.
- Qualifies for certified clinical attachments in General Dermatology in Austria at the University of Vienna.
- Provides credit for Postgraduate Diploma in General Dermatology which is studied online at the Rila Institute of Health Sciences which in turn provides credit for a Master of Science in Dermatology awarded by the University of Plymouth (UK).
- Has been independently developed with subject specialists and does not receive education grants from any pharmaceutical company.
- Haemochromatosis: Preventing harm caused by iron o...
- Posted By ThinkGP
- Posted Date: 2020-10-14
- Haemochromatosis is the most common genetic disorder in Caucasian people of northern European
- Diagnostic Imaging Accreditation Scheme (DIAS) Sta...
- Posted By AGPAL & QIP Education and Training
- Posted Date: 2020-10-10
- Strengthen areas to reduce risk and provide strategies to improve patient and equipment safety.
- Culturally Relevant and Safe Healthcare
- Posted By AGPAL & QIP Education and Training
- Posted Date: 2020-10-09
- Designed to understand the role in providing culturally relevant, safe and appropriate services.
- Professional Certificate of General Dermatology
- Posted By HealthCert International Pte Ltd
- Posted Date: 2020-10-07
- It will teach you how to manage all major dermatological conditions of the skin, hair and nails.
- Cost and Outcomes of Assessing Patients with Chest...
- Posted By Doctorportal Learning
- Posted Date: 2020-10-06
- Cost and Outcomes of Assessing Patients with Chest Pain in an Australian Emergency Department