Advanced Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine
- : South Wharf, Melbourne, VIC
The Advanced Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine course will solidify and advance your competency in dermoscopy, surgical and non-surgical treatments. You will gain hands-on experience in rarely covered areas of skin cancer medicine, including diathermy, curettage and cautery or suturing ‘paper-thin’ elderly skin. You will also receive an excellent introduction to advanced dermoscopy and acquire the essential knowledge to diagnose and manage most skin cancers in your practice.
This course is the second part of the three-part Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Medicine. The education pathway is Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine, Advanced Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine and Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Medicine.
The course offers a solid foundation for various surgical techniques and provides an excellent introduction to advanced dermatoscopy. This program includes practical surgery sessions. Our team of surgical assistants will guide and support you as you practise the various surgical techniques.
The theory and practical sessions cover:
- Advanced dermoscopy
- Curettage and cautery
- Advanced biopsy techniques
- Topical treatment options
- Local anaesthetics
- Incisions / haemostasis
- Large elliptical excisions
- Lower leg grafts
- Suturing, including "paper-thin" skin
Course participants will:
- Observe experts performing Skin Cancer Medicine techniques on a large screen with close-up camera
- Perform skin cancer medicine techniques in a simulated environment and receive feedback
- Participate in online discussion of patient cases, evaluate and make decisions
- Receive a comprehensive course folder and research/readings in the field
- Receive ongoing support post-course through webinars and case review
- Optional Skin Cancer Medicine clinical attachments are also available at dedicated clinics
This certificate course:
- Is recognised by Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners (RNZCGP).
- Is accredited by The Skin Cancer Institute (SCI) and may be used as part of an application for Certified Skin Cancer Doctor credentials.
- Has been collaboratively designed with, and is annually reviewed by, Professor David Wilkinson, Deputy Vice Chancellor at Macquarie University.
- Qualifies for a clinical attachment in France at the University of Lyon.
- Qualifies for a clinical attachment in Austria at the University of Vienna.