Advanced Certificate of Skin Cancer Surgery
- : South Bank, Brisbane, QLD
The Advanced Certificate of Skin Cancer Surgery will teach you how to surgically remove skin cancers from anatomically complex and cosmetically sensitive areas with optimal scarring results. This highly practical course is led by noted skin cancer doctors and a team of experienced GPs to assist you in your practice. The program covers surgical procedures for the face and neck, rhomboid flaps on the cheek, peri-orbital reconstruction on the lower eyelid, rotation flaps on the scalp, and closures of lip defects.
This course is the second part of the three-part Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Surgery. The education pathway is Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Surgery, Advanced Certificate of Skin Cancer Surgery and Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Surgery.
The course provides advanced training in skin cancer surgery and teaches various techniques allowing GPs to treat more complex cases in the primary care setting. The program includes practical surgery sessions. Our team of surgical assistants will guide and support you as you practise the various surgical techniques.
The theory and practical sessions cover:
- Anatomy of the head, neck, nose, lip, eyelid, ear, and upper and lower limbs
- Advancement flaps and rhomboid flaps on the face
- Rotational flaps in closure of scalp, cheek and distal limb defects
- Full thickness and split thickness grafts on the face and lower limb defects
- Closure of ear defects with flaps, grafts and wedges
- Closure of upper lip and lateral nose defects with advancement, rhomboid and V-Y flaps
Course participants will:
- Observe experts performing skin cancer surgery techniques on a large screen with close-up camera
- Perform surgical techniques in a simulated environment and receive feedback
- Participate in online discussion of patient cases, evaluate and make decisions
- Receive a comprehensive course folder and research/readings in the field
- Receive ongoing support post-course through webinars and case review
- Optional skin cancer surgery clinical attachments are also available at dedicated clinics
This certificate course:
- Is recognised by Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners (RNZCGP).
- Is accredited by the Skin Cancer Institute (SCI) and may be used as part of an application for Certified Skin Cancer Doctor credentials.
- Has been collaboratively designed with, and is annually reviewed by, Professor David Wilkinson, Deputy Vice Chancellor at Macquarie University.
- Qualifies for a Skin Cancer Surgery Clinical Attachment in France at the University of Lyon.
- Qualifies for a Skin Cancer Surgery Clinical Attachment in Austria at the University of Vienna.