Assist with Medications
This online course is designed as induction for disability support practitioners and provides learners with the essential knowledge required to safely prepare and effectively assist clients with medications, complete medication documentation and handle medication contingencies in the workplace.
This course is available for disability support practitioners and health care professionals.
The module will provide you with an understanding of:
- The legal framework that supports safe medications and the roles and responsibilities of those involved.
- Basic medication terminology including abbreviations, naming conventions and instructions.
- Different forms of medications and how they are handled, administered and stored in the workplace.
- The characteristics of commonly prescribed medications in the workplace.
- The 10 rights of medication safety.
- Applying safe work practices when assisting with medications.
- Assisting clients who self-administer their own medications.
- Managing medication incidents, contingencies, reporting and documentation requirements.