This is a Featured Course!
Beyond babyblues: detecting and managing perinatal mental health disorders in primary care ALM
- : Chatswood NSW 2067
Beyond babyblues: detecting and managing perinatal mental health disorders in primary care
This ALM discusses the screening and further assessment of women in the perinatal period for possible depression and/or anxiety. A range of both pharmacological and non pharmacological management modalities are discussed and the development of team based care arrangements are explored. This education is also available as a series of 6 one hour activities.
By completing this learning activity, you will be able to:
- Discuss the range of mental health difficulties that can occur during pregnancy and in the first year postpartum and be able to state the symptoms of antenatal and postnatal depression and anxiety.
- Describe the psychosocial and/or mental health assessments available (and the roles of various professionals in relation to their use) and conduct universal screening of women in the perinatal period for the presence of anxiety and/or depression using the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS) in the context of a wider psychosocial assessment.
- Recall, based on EPDS results and the presence of psychosocial risk factors, the circumstances in which further mental health assessment of perinatal woman is indicated.
- State the various therapeutic modalities available for the management of perinatal anxiety and depression.
- Discuss how to ensure patient safety by developing appropriate referral pathways and being aware of the indications for referral for specialist services.
Education proudly supported by beyondblue