Chronic Hepatitis C: Curing Hepatitis C in 2016
- : Mooloolaba QLD 4557
This Hepatitis C Treatment Update will cover the prescribing and patient access for approved medicines listed on the PBS from 1 March 2016.
This update will focus on the new Hepatitis C medicines that were made available through both the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) General Schedule Section 85 (S85) and Section 100 (S100) Highly Specialised Drugs (HSD) Program from 1 March 2016. Primary Care providers can now prescribe these medicines which are highly effective, have short treatment durations and are simple to manage.
Participants will learn to:
- Interpret test results and diagnose hepatitis C appropriately
- Ensure that people at risk of hepatitis C infection are regularly screened
- Manage and monitor people with chronic hepatitis C suitably, including staging of liver disease and lifestyle modifications as needed
- Assess for advanced liver disease, monitor for hepatocellular carcinoma and refer appropriately
- Advise patients about new therapies for hepatitis C so they can make informed treatment decisions