Clinical Costing Fundamentals and Analyses
This course will equip healthcare professionals with knowledge and practical skills on the fundamentals of clinical costing and how to analyse and deliver cost-effectiveness in clinical practice in a rapidly changing and complex funding environment.
An ageing and growing population, increased prevalence of chronic diseases, and technology-aided advances in treatment contribute to the rise in healthcare costs globally each year. To deliver optimal healthcare performance management, accurate and detailed information on cost, revenue and clinical outcomes is required. Understanding how clinical costing information is developed, determined, utilised and allocated will ultimately empower healthcare professionals to deliver value-based care.
This course comprehensively covers the fundamentals of clinical costing datasets in public hospitals from theory, philosophy to practice. The course explores how financial information aligns with clinical information to establish the cost and identify potential revenue associated with specific clinical tasks. Practical examples of clinical costing in action, including how to analyse and interpret cost data to develop a business case, is provided.DESIGNED FOR
This course is suitable for any student (undergraduate and postgraduate) with an interest in the health sector and registered healthcare professionals.
COURSE OUTLINE COURSE UNITS
Tutorial 1: Why clinical costing is important?
Tutorial 2: The background of clinical costing
Tutorial 3: Clinical costing starts with finance
Tutorial 4: Where the clinical services are
Tutorial 5: Mapping clinical services to the dollars
Tutorial 6: Clinical costing standards, reporting and analyses
Tutorial 7: Funding and revenue allocation
PARTICULAR KNOWLEDGE OR SKILLS OBTAINED THROUGH COURSE
- Practical application and working knowledge of the fundamentals of clinical costing
- Comprehensive understanding of the importance of clinical costing datasets in healthcare cost-effectiveness analyses
- Effective working knowledge of clinical costing standards and reporting requirements
- Understanding of financial and clinical information systems
Dr Ronald Ma
Clinical Costing Analyst, Austin Health, Melbourne, VICTORIA, Australia
- Stephen Cole, Director - ABF Financial Reporting | Financial Services Gold Coast Health, Gold Coast University Hospital
- Dr Jason Wang, Registrar, Austin Health
- Yvonne Ballueer, Nurse Unit Manager, Intensive Care Unit, Austin Health