Clinical Decision Making
This four hour workshop is designed to enhance a participant's understanding of their decision making process and that of their trainees and colleagues. The workshop will provide a roadmap, or algorithm, of how the surgeon forms a decision. This algorithm illustrates the attributes of expert clinical decision making and was developed as a means to address poor clinical decision making processes, particularly as a guide for the supervisor dealing with a struggling trainee or as a self improvement exercise.Learning outcomes
• Outline the range of cognitive processes involved in CDM
• Describe and explain the four stages of CDM
• Facilitate decision making in the clinical environment and understand the process behind it
• Improve the ability to make clinical decisions under stress
• Improve the ability to recognise the factors that influence the quality of decision-making
Fellows, International Medical Graduates, TraineesDelivery mode
This is a four hour course delivered face to face by RACS Fellows and invited speakers.
Participants are encouraged to complete the online module before attending the face to face workshop.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points
This educational activity has been approved in the College's CPD Program. Fellows who participate can claim 1 point per hour (maximum of 4 points) in Category 3 - Maintenance of Knowledge and Skills. For those with a RACS CPD requirement this activity will be automatically uploaded to your record.Surgical Competencies
Judgement & Clinical Decision Making