Contraceptive Implant (Implanon NXT®) Insertion & Removal Training – Distance Education
This interactive online course aims to provide theoretical and live-online simulated training in the insertion and removal of the contraceptive implant Implanon NXT® and provide product knowledge and patient counselling. Implanon NXT® distance education consists of approximately 2 hours self-paced, online theoretical pre-reading and approximately 1 hour of small group, live-online simulation practice via Zoom webinar.
Self-paced online pre-reading
Small group, live-online webinar session
Face-to-face/in-person training available for this course available at various locations. Click here for more information.
Who should register?
General practitioners, GP registrars, international medical graduates, registered nurses, registered midwives, or nurse practitioners
- Current AHPRA registration
- Prior experience in local anaesthetic administration
- Reliable internet coverage
- Mobile phone with ability to download and use the Zoom webinar app
- For nurse practitioners, registered nurses, and registered midwives: must ensure Implanon NXT® insertion and removal is within scope of practice and have Professional Indemnity Insurance to cover for Implanon NXT® insertion and removal
The self-paced, online pre-reading (which must be completed prior to the webinar session) covers the following topics:
- Long Acting Reversible Contraceptives (LARC)
- Composition and mechanism of action
- Side effects, including bleeding patterns and guidance of management
- Patient suitability, contraindications, and medication interactions
- Patient consent
- Timing of initiation of contraception
- Insertion procedure, including anatomical considerations
- Removal procedure
- Reinsertion procedure
- Post-procedure patient advice
- Advice for complex implants, such as deeply inserted implants
Implanon NXT® insertion and removal simulated practice on model arms will occur in small groups under observation by experienced Implanon NXT® clinical educators via Zoom webinar.
*If you are an organisation with 6 participants or more willing to complete the Implanon course, please contact our Clinical Education Unit to discuss a private session.
Participants will receive a training resource kit for live-online simulated practice ahead of registered webinar session. A Loan Agreement Form is required to be completed and returned.
The kit does not include a scalpel – this must be provided by participant (11 blade recommended).
The kit includes:
- Model training arm
- Implanon NXT® training placebo devices
- Mobile phone tripod
- Reply-paid parcel bag for the return of the kit to True
True is proud to be a preferred training provider for Implanon NXT®. Please note that training resources are supplied by the manufacturer.
All registered participants must:
- Complete online pre-reading (approx. 2 hours duration) before attending the live-online webinar
- Complete and return the Loan Agreement Form
- Download Zoom app on mobile phone and create a Zoom account
Participants are to complete a short online quiz with 100% pass mark required. The course includes feedback from an Implanon NXT® clinical educator on simulation procedure technique but does not include a formal competency assessment.
Doctors will receive a Statement of Attendance for Contraceptive Implant (Implanon NXT®) Insertion & Removal Training. The Statement may be used as evidence of attendance of training.