Contraceptive Implant (Implanon NXT®) Insertion & Removal Training – Distance Education
This interactive online course provides theoretical and live-online simulated training in the insertion and removal of the contraceptive implant Implanon NXT® and provides product knowledge and patient counselling. Implanon NXT® distance education consists of approximately 2.5 hours self-paced, online theoretical pre-reading and approximately 1 hour of small group, live-online simulation practice via Zoom webinar.
The self-paced, online pre-reading (which must be completed prior to the webinar session) covers the following topics:
- Long Acting Reversible Contraceptives (LARC)
- Composition and mechanism of action
- Side effects, including bleeding patterns and guidance of management
- Patient suitability, contraindications, and medication interactions
- Patient consent
- Timing of initiation of contraception
- Insertion procedure, including anatomical considerations
- Removal procedure
- Reinsertion procedure
- Post-procedure patient advice
- Advice for complex implants, such as deeply inserted implants
The kit does not include a scalpel – this must be provided by participant (11 blade recommended).
The kit includes:
- Model training arm
- Implanon NXT® training placebo devices
- Mobile phone tripod
- Reply-paid parcel bag for the return of the kit to True
For Nurses and Midwives:
Participants are to complete a short online quiz with 100% pass mark required. The course includes feedback from an Implanon NXT® clinical educator on simulation procedure technique but does not include a formal competency assessment.
Participants will receive a Statement of Attendance for Contraceptive Implant (Implanon NXT®) Insertion & Removal Training. The Statement may be used as evidence of attendance of training. True’s Implanon NXT® insertion and removal training does not confer competency.
All registered participants must:
- Complete online pre-reading (approx. 2.5 hours duration) before attending the live-online webinar
- Complete and return the Loan Agreement Form to ceutrue.org.au
- Download Zoom app on mobile phone and create a Zoom account
- Current AHPRA registration
- Prior experience in local anaesthetic administration
- Reliable internet coverage
- Mobile phone with ability to download and use the Zoom webinar app
- For nurse practitioners, registered nurses, and registered midwives: must ensure Implanon NXT® insertion and removal is within scope of practice and have Professional Indemnity Insurance to cover for Implanon NXT® insertion and removal