This is a Promoted Post!
Depression management for GPs
- : Sydney NSW 2000
This education discusses the diagnosis and treatment of major depressive disorder. The usage of rating scales and a patient-centred approach is explored, as well as the importance of tailoring pharmacological management to each patient.
On completion of this education activity participants will be able to:
- Understand the diagnosis of major depression and the strengths and limitations of common rating scales used for diagnosis monitoring treatment response.
- Be aware of newer depression rating scales specifically developed to assess positive affect and anhedonia in depression.
- Appreciate the importance of a patient-centred approach to depression management and the need for long term follow-up to maintain remission.
- Understand the principles of tailoring pharmacological management of depression to the patient to enable efficacy with minimal side effects.
- Understand the need to assess and manage the side effects of medication to facilitate treatment adherence and maintenance of recovery.