This is a Promoted Post!
Developing a plan for managing dementia in general practice
- : Newcastle NSW 2300
This education discusses the development of an overall management plan for a patient with dementia. Primary and secondary prevention of dementia are included and risk management as part of the overall management strategy explored. A needs assessment, evaluating activities of daily living, is outlined. The use of current pharmacological modalities (acetylcholinesterase inhibitors) are discussed. The role of the Medicare item numbers is presented and examples provided.
By completing this learning activity, participants will be able to:
- Discuss risk management in terms of both primary and secondary prevention.
- Recognise pharmacological and non-pharmacological strategies for management of dementia.
- Explain the role of a needs assessment of ADL dysfunction.
- Implement positive lifestyle changes e.g. dietary and nutritional changes.
- Ensure patient safety by appropriately utilising care planning.