Graduate Certificate in Aged Care Nursing
Studying aged care nursing with ACN will provide you with the principles of aged care nursing practice in order to improve your knowledge and skills for the provision and coordination of evidenced based person-centred nursing care for the older person. The aim is to encourage professional and ethical understanding of clinical practice development for the improvement of health outcomes as highlighted in our white paper. Our course is written by specialist nurses, for nurses. Our students are supported by a team of clinical experts, working within the speciality. Our unique blend of electives allow students to further explore a specific area of interest related to areas such as continence and wound management.
The Graduate Certificate in Aged Care Nursing studies the complex needs of the older person being cared for within diverse health care environments. The aim of this course is to strengthen and develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes of nurses caring for the older adult. The course provides an advanced grounding in methods of research, in addition to developing the theoretical and practical aspects of management, clinical practice and education in aged care nursing. The single units of study in this course draw upon the student’s nursing experience in aged care and combine this experience with theory, current research and best practice guidelines to enhance the student’s specialist knowledge and skills, critical thinking and analysis abilities and clinical decision-making within aged care environments.
A Graduate Certificate in Aged Care Nursing is an investment in your future and will provide you with the knowledge and skills needed to ensure better outcomes for the older person and progress your career, leading to opportunities in clinical education, management and specialist nursing roles. It is designed to empower nurses to become clinical and professional leaders required for the predicted reforms in health and aged care.
This course is designed to develop specific learning outcomes. Students will:
- integrate specialist knowledge, assessment skills and information to support an improved standard of client care
- develop enhanced clinical decision making skills using multiple modes of enquiry and collaborative approaches
- establish and maintain effective therapeutic relationships with aged care clients, families, professional colleagues and stakeholders
- demonstrate professional leadership and educational skills
- critically analyse literature and develop evidence based nursing practice in aged care
- promote the professional aged care nurse’s role within the multi-disciplinary team
- advocate for clients within all aged care environments.
Tiers 2021 Member price (10% discount) / 2021 Non member price
Tier 1 $2,070.00 - $2,300.00
Tier 2 $2,362.50 - $2,625.00
Tier 3 $2,776.50 - $3,085.00
Tier 4 $3,321.00. - $3,690.00
Fees are subject to change without notice.
ACN offers a flexible payment option allowing students to pay their fees on a term-by-term basis. Each term’s fees are due upfront, prior to term commencement.
FEE-HELP is also available for eligible students.
Admission to GC courses is based on academic merit and selection. In addition, applicants must satisfy any prerequisites or additional requirements specified for particular courses, including ACN’s general eligibility criteria.
All applicants seeking admission are required to:
- hold a Bachelor of Nursing or registered nurse* equivalent qualification
- be currently registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) or the equivalent registering authority in your country of origin
- have a minimum of one year postgraduate experience
- be currently employed in an appropriate clinical setting.
*For some GC units of study, consideration may be given for applicants who are not registered nurses on an individual basis.
Meet your nurse educator
Diva Madan, Nurse Educator – Higher Education
RN, MN clinical education, BN, BSc, DN, Cert IV TAE
Diva coordinates both our Graduate Certificates in Aged Care Nursing and Breast Cancer Nursing.
Diva has great passion for clinical teaching and truly enjoys going beyond the essential elements of the curriculum, teaching learners to be creative, curious and critical thinkers.