Implanon NXT Insertion & Removal Training Course for Registered Nurses & Midwives
Implanon NXT Insertion and Removal Training Course for Registered Nurses and Midwives is a competency-based program designed to develop your skills in Implanon NXT procedures.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are not in a position to offer on-site clinical placements for this course at this time. We are currently taking registrations for nurses and midwives who can undertake the clinical placements at their own workplace via the self-arranged clinic option.
The course comprises:
- online learning and assessment (approximately 3 hours)
- supervised clinical training (at FPV or self-arranged clinic)
- LARC including Implanon NXT
- Local anaesthetic and Implanon NXT procedures
- Quick start initiation for Implanon NXT
Supervised clinical training options:
- Course registration with clinical placements at a self-arranged clinic
- Participants are required to arrange their own supervision. This supervision may be provided by a health professional who has completed and gained certification previously in Implanon NXT insertion and removal procedures AND is able to assess a trainee for competence. All assessors are required to provide a copy of their Implanon NXT certificate (issued by MSD or equivalent) and their AHPRA number. Supervisors must also certify that they have performed at least 3 successful Implanon NXT insertions and/or removal procedures in the last 12 months.
- Course registration with clinical placements at FPV (postponed due to COVID-19)
- Participants will be assisted to undertake their clinical training and supervision at Family Planning Victoria's Action Centre (Melbourne CBD) clinic. Most registered nurses and midwives generally require 2 half day sessions to gain competency, but some may require more.
Competency is provided following two documented insertions AND two documented removals of Implanon NXT in a correct and safe manner.
All course requirements must be completed within 12 months of course registration.
Who would benefit from this course?
Registered nurses and midwives working in the area of reproductive and sexual health, practice nurses, and community health nurses.
Entry requirements / Eligibility
Registered Nurse or Midwife.
Compulsory course prerequisite is the completion of Implanon NXT Education and Simulation Practice at Family Planning Victoria or Implanon NXT Education and Practical Training, or equivalent. Equivalence training must include Implanon NXT simulation practice.
Before you register for Implanon NXT training it is useful to consider the following:
- Is your employer advocating for this extension for your nursing role? Organisational support will enable you to overcome potential barriers to nurse-led implanon NXT services. Agreements to establish billing practices, prescribing responsibilities, and clinical supervision will promote clinical practice.
- Does your professional indemnity insurance cover you for Implanon NXT procedures?
Certificate of Competency: Insertion and removal of Implanon NXT
Family Planning Victoria recommends that a medical officer be onsite for all registered nurse/midwife Implanon NXT insertion and removal procedures to provide assistance. Please refer to your employer’s policy and procedures for direction.
Course registration with clinical placements at a self-arranged clinic: $310 (GST free)
*Course registration with clinical placements at FPV (postponed due to COVID-19): $390 (GST free)
If you would like to be placed on the waitlist to undertake placements at Family Planning Victoria, please email your details. We will notify you when registrations are being taken.
- Grieving Good & Feeling Better - Short Course
- Posted By House to Grow Charity
- Posted Date: 2021-07-29
- Shot course for healthcare profesionals dealing with distressed and grieving clients.
- Emotional Intelligence for Nurses and Midwives
- Posted By House to Grow Charity
- Posted Date: 2021-07-28
- Unleash your full potential with Emotional Intelligence- will facilitate the development of your EQ
- Restrictive Practices New Requirements
- Posted By Aged care Learning Solutions
- Posted Date: 2021-07-15
- A short learning activity about restrictive practices in residential aged care. This includes update...
- Bladder scanning to measure urine volume
- Posted By My Midwifery & Nursing CPD (MNCPD)
- Posted Date: 2021-07-07
- Overview A bladder scan is a non-invasive test that is used to measure the volume of urine the bl...