• Regulation of whitening products and practices in Australia
Candidates undertake a written examination (10 questions) which is returned to ADAQ for marking by Professor Walsh.
• Case selection and contra-indications
• Whitening versus lightening
• Patient work-up and consent
• Shade assessment
• Causes of discolouration
• Chemistry of bleaching systems
• Choice of systems; chemical versus light activation
• Advanced oxidation processes for bleaching
• Maximizing effectiveness of individual systems
• Safety considerations for hard tissues and the dental pulp
• Soft tissue isolation; material application
• Intra-operative complications and their prevention and management
• Post-operative advice; shade relapse and its prevention
• Maintenance products for at home use
Candidates can refer to the PDF coursenotes when preparing the examination answers.
All materials issued by ADAQ CPD are subject to copyright and are for the use of the registered candidate only.
Professor Laurie Walsh AO
BDSc, PhD, DDSc, GCEd, FRACDS, FFOP(RCPA), FIADFE, FICD, FADI, FPFA
Laurence Walsh has been Professor of Dental Science at UQ since 1999, where he leads the research
group in advanced technologies and materials. He has undertaken clinical and laboratory trials for a
wide range of bleaching systems and technologies, and has published extensively on this topic in the
national and international literature. Laurence has over 30 years clinical experience with conventional and
laser-based systems for treating more difficult cases including tetracycline staining. He has presented
numerous lectures and hand-on courses in tooth bleaching systems and technologies for the past
decade across the Asia-Pacific region and in North America.