Infection control - Reducing injuries from sharps
- : Online
This module provides details on the steps that can be taken to minimise the risk of exposure to bloodborne viruses associated with the use of needles and other sharps.
It provides information on theimmediate steps to take when anoccupational exposure occurs. It then discusses the management protocols for an occupational exposure to bloodborne viruses.
At the end of this module participants will be able to:
- Understand the risks associated with the use and disposal of contaminated needles and other sharps.
- Know the precautions that should be adopted to avoid needlestick injury.
- Understand the risk of bloodborne virus infection transmission when a needlestick injury occurs.
- Identify the emergency procedures to be taken in the event of a needlestick injury.
- Identify the qualities of a healthcare facility that has a positive safety culture.