Inflammatory bowel disease - Treatment and management
- : Online
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) is a chronic condition which causesinflammation in the gastrointestinal tract.
The two predominant disorders are Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis, which have both common and distinct clinical and pathological features.
There is currently no treatment for IBD, and aetiology and pathogenesis of the disease remains elusive. Consequently, disease management consists of long-term therapeutic care.
At the end of this module participants will be able to:
- Identify the clinical features of IBD
- Identify the 5 therapeutic categories used to treat inflammation, induce remission, and/or maintain remission
- Understand IBD treatment management, including identifying side effects
- Understand issues in the hospital setting for IBD patients
- Know the recommended IBD Standards of Care