Introduction to Post-Abortion Counselling & Applied Practice
This training is open to all health and allied health care practitioners who may provide counselling to people with unplanned pregnancy. Workshop that considers short-term counseling in the post-abortion context. It will enhance understanding of factors in resolution after an abortion, assessment and referral pathways for health and allied health care and support practitioners who may provide unplanned pregnancy or post-abortion counseling or in a case management context.
Training is offered in two zoom video conferences:
Session 1: Wed 24 March 2021 2pm-4pm Brisbane time
Introduction to Post-abortion counselling Learning outcomes:
- Scene setting: Socio-legal context of unplanned pregnancy in Australia
- Post-abortion counselling in the context of unplanned or unwanted pregnancy
- The pregnancy and abortion story
- Anticipatory Stress, Stress and Trauma
- Intersection of unplanned pregnancy, intimate partner violence and reproductive coercion – responding to disclosure
- A trauma informed approach to abortion care
- Counselling: Core Practice Principles and frameworks
- Responding to common themes and issues: case study and discussion
- Post-abortion counselling referral
- Discussion, reflection and self-care
Session 2: Wed 31 March 2021 2pm-4pm Brisbane time
Applied Practice: Practical session with Children by Choice Senior Counsellors utilising key counselling communication techniques in role play and case study discussion
Sponsored places are available for Qld regional rural and remote health care professionals. Priority given to regional/rural/remote professionals who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander or work with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and communities or organisations. Contact Children by Choice for more info about sponsorship.
This event is offered in accordance with Children by Choice's pro-choice framework. Children by Choice reserve the right to refuse registrations and remove individuals from the event.