Introduction to Sexuality & Disability
- : Penrith NSW 2750
Who would benefit from this course
Workers in the disability service sector, including managers, support workers, case managers and allied health professionals.
This one day course is the first day of the two day nationally recognised training Sexuality Matters! Part A.
It is designed to provide a basic overview of the skills and knowledge needed to support people with intellectual disability in their sexuality and relationships; the role of a worker in upholding their clients’ rights to experience safe and fulfilling sexual lives and the importance of health literacy. This day also examines the impact of personal values and discusses strategies for building the capacity of people with intellectual disability and their families within legal and policy frameworks. Participants completing this course will be provided with a Statement of Attendance.
Entry requirements / eligibility
Applicants must have prior work experience supporting people with disability.
At the completion of training, participants will be able to:
- Explore sexuality thoughout the lifespan using a holistic model of sexuality
- Examine the impacts of individual and societal attitudes and values on the sexuality of people with disabilty
- Review the rights of people with disability and the role of workers in upholding these
- Describe strategies for working in partnership with parents and carers
- Describe stategies for providing reproductive and sexual health information to people with disability
Course structure Mode of delivery Time
|Face to face||1 day (9:00am - 4:30pm) Or by request|
Unit of competency
Wednesday 16 May 2018
31 July 2018