Introduction to Unplanned Pregnancy Counselling & Responding to First Disclosure of Sexual Violence Townsville
May is Domestic & Family Violence prevention month.
The Women's Centre, a women's only space, and Children by Choice have teamed up to facilitate an immersive, full day training workshop for health and allied health care practitioners who provide counselling or support to people who may have unplanned pregnancy or experience violence. Join us to reflect on the work you do. Refreshments & light lunch provided.
Date: Tuesday 18 May 2021
Venue: Townsville, details emailed on registration
Morning session 0900 - 1230
Children by Choice will facilitate an evidence-based workshop on non-directive all options counselling - parenting, alternative care arrangements and adoption and abortion and key counselling communication techniques.
- Scene setting: socio-legal context of unplanned pregnancy in Queensland.
- Exploring values.
- Unplanned pregnancy counselling: core practice principles.
- Introduction to unplanned pregnancy counselling: abortion, adoption and parenting.
- Intersection of unplanned pregnancy, intimate partner violence and reproductive coercion.
- Parenting, adoption and alternative care arrangements.
- Abortion: medical and surgical.
- State based abortion provision.
- Counselling communication, post-abortion counselling referral indicators.
Afternoon Session 1300 - 1630
The Women's Centre will facilitate the workshop supporting practitioners to identify and respond to the disclosure of sexual violence. The afternoon workshop will feature applied practice with counsellors from Children by Choice and The Women's Centre including case studies & and role play demonstrations and practice.
- Identifying and responding to the disclosure of sexual violence.
- Fostering holistic community support for survivors of sexual violence.
- Considering the context and effects of supporting survivors of sexual violence for workers.
- Discussion, reflection and self-care.
This event is offered in accordance with Children by Choice's pro-choice framework and a safe training space for women offered by The Women's Centre. Children by Choice reserve the right to refuse registrations and remove individuals from the event and to hold sessions virtually if needed due to current Queensland Health advice.