Leadership in Nursing Seminar
- : Surry Hills NSW 2010
2 Day Seminar – Brain-Based Leadership Skills for Nurses and Midwives
Health leaders regardless of their position in the organisation need to execute a set of competencies to ensure effective team functioning aligned to legislation, APHRA guidelines and organisational goals. This highly interactive program embedded in neuroscience and leadership theory gives the participants skills to confidently lead teams – to reinforce positive behaviours and quickly address bullying and breaches of boundaries. Over 2000 nurses, midwives and other health care workers have attended this popular course with 98% rating it as excellent. Chock full of neuroscience tips including emotional intelligence and courageous conversations, this course is designed for the leader who is highly motivated to leverage their performance and witness great team results. Limited spaces available – book your place now!
Need for Program
As the health and aged care system becomes more demanding and sophisticated, clinicians are increasingly required to “step up” into management positions. Often they are required to manage a broad range of staff, some of whom may demonstrate complex challenges. It is essential that leaders have the best educational support that enables them to competently fulfill their role and to maintain a genuine sense of purpose and achievement.
Purpose of Program
This program teaches leaders science based strategies to achieve predictable and sustainable results. It is a highly interactive program that enables the participant to learn how to deal effectively with complex staff issues. As leadership needs to demonstrate a high level of accountability, participants will be expected to complete a one page self-evaluation leadership checklist prior to coming to the course.
Your Learning Outcomes
- Return to the workplace with improved management and leadership skills that can be immediately implemented
- Demonstrate increased confidence when dealing with tough management issues, in collaboration with senior managers effectively manage bullying behaviour
- Stretch your learning styles. The learning environment of the two days is interactive and participative and includes singing and practice of courageous conversations
- Promote healthy neural and physical development
- Schedule Day One
8:30am - Registration and Refreshments
9:00amGetting in the Leadership and Management Groove!
This introductory session explores approaches for working together during this two day program and ensuring your learning style is accommodated.
- What are your personal learning objectives for this course?
- Setting the scene: alignment with the Australian Health Leadership Framework
- An introductory look at the following core concepts:
- Inspi ration
- What is the key purpose of your role as a leader and a manager?
- Too busy…or are you achieving outcomes?
- Explore the neuroscience of mirror neurons that ensures you are inspirational all the time – either for magnificence or mischief
10:00amSharing your Leadership and Management Checklist
(Checklist prepared prior to coming to course)
10:30am - Morning Tea
11:00am“Using a Bit of Buzz” – A Scientific Approach to Achieving Better Results
- The concept of “seven brains” and how to use them
- The autonomic nervous system either freezes you and your team or frees the team to creativity and cooperation
- How is neuroscience contributing to our understanding of better leadership and management?
- Stressed or blessed – how your perception influences your team results
- Discover how mirror neurons are always switched on and your leadership is always on show
12:00pmRoll Up your Sleeves – Let's Start Applying the Principles
“Without vision the people perish” – create a vision for your workplace.
12:30pmManaging Inappropriate Behaviours – Courageous Conversations
Bullies thrive when managers do nothing – learn an elegant 4 step courageous conversation script so you have confidence “what to say” when you notice breaches of boundary.
- In the safe environment of the classroom and working with a trusted buddy, learn to practice and execute the script
1:00pm - Lunch and Networking
2:00pmMapping Your Team Culture and Managing Toxic Bullies
Identify the magnificent; mean well; mediocre and malevolents in your team.
- Match your right leadership style to each group
- Why you may be making matters worse through empowering the bullies
- Practice the courageous conversation script to manage inappropriate behaviours
2:50pmStaying Afloat on the Management Boat! Buoyancy Strategies for Effective Leaders
- Leaders and managers who role model good health and buoyancy are critical to effective teamwork
- Cultivating resilience as a positive force
- Taking a proactive rather than a reactive approach to controlling stress levels and responses
3:20pm - Afternoon Tea
3:50pmDeep Reflection – What Have Been the Key Learnings of Day One
- Share with your learning buddy what you have learnt
- Share in a plenary session your key learnings for the day
- Reminder to attend to the two fun work activities for the evening
4:15pm - Close of Day One of SeminarDay Two
9:00am - Commencement of Day Two
9:00amReflect and Review Key Learnings of Day One
Apply reflection principles to identify the key outcomes of Day One and share with your new learning buddy.
Who is in command? Are you being driven or you the driver of your team?
- Delve deeper into the brain of bullying and brilliance – the role of the emotional brain
- How does “road rage” happen at work? Calm your amygdala before it explodes!
- Take command of four core emotional intelligence competencies
10:30am - Morning Tea
Explore why values drive behaviour and is a primary cause of conflict between people.
- Discover your values
- What needs to happen when values are violated?
- What to do when conflicting values collide
12:00pmThe Buck Stops Here! Accountability – Who is Really Responsible?
- Identify legislation which affects clinical practice
- Communication of expectations and boundaries – which strategies can you use?
12:30pmCourageous Conversations Round Two – Practice Makes Perfect
This session will help you:
- Hone this skill
- Demonstrate confidence and eloquence
- Stay strong in maintaining boundaries
1:00pm - Lunch and Networking
2:00pm“Get Streetwise” – Political Intelligence and Anticipating Change
Successful change emerges from knowledge of proven strategies. Incorporation of political intelligence is a crucial part of this mix.
- What do you need to consider when planning significant change?
- Why is political intelligence such a critical competency?
- 10 strategies for successful change management
- Self-reflection – which strategies have you used and which can you incorporate into future change management?
3:00pm - Afternoon Tea and Coffee
3:30pmMay The Force Be With You
This final session will be an opportunity to summarise what you have learned and to ensure you have take-home skills and strategies that can immediately be applied in your work environment.
- What do you intend to change as a result of this education?
- How will you prioritise your workload?
- State your 3 management/leadership goals for the coming year
- Sharing of your learnings and intentions to implement the course in your workplace
3:55pm - Close of Seminar and Evaluations
Ilze is the Principal of PowerMind Life and Leadership Coaching, a science-based coaching practice. She is also a highly experienced nurse, manager and educator. Ilze is dynamic and passionate about leaders being effective; not busy, but effective and confident. Be prepared for a lively two days of inspiration and learning.