Management of specific respiratory tract infections
- : Online
Reflect on your management of 10 patients with acute bacterial rhinosinusitis, acute sore throat/pharyngitis/tonsillitis, acute otitis media, common cold/acute viral rhinitis (non-specific upper respiratory tract infection), or acute bronchitis.
This clinical e-audit enables you to review your current practice, consider implementing changes to practice and reflect on areas for ongoing improvement. The feedback allows you to compare your best practice clinical indicators. The activity is intended to be relevant in all general practice settings.
Reflect on your management of 10 patients with:
- acute bacterial rhinosinusitis
- acute sore throat / pharyngitis / tonsillitis
- acute otitis media
- common cold / acute viral rhinitis (non-specific upper respiratory tract infection), or
- acute bronchitis
Our Clinical e-Audits are free quality improvement activities that help GPs review their current prescribing practice for patients with certain conditions, compared with current best practice guidelines.
- completing electronic data collection for 10 patients
- securely submitting de-identified data online
- receiving immediate patient
- specific feedback to assist implementation of changes to practice
- reviewing individual and peer feedback results based on best practice clinical indicators
- recording progress of individual patients automatically identified for review
- reflecting on improvements in practice.
Participation in this activity will assist GPs to:
- identify patients for whom antibiotic therapy, and imaging, is recommended
- engage patients in discussion about symptomatic management and benefits and harms of antibiotic therapy
- explore patient beliefs and expectations about management options and tailor communication strategies accordingly
- select the recommended antibiotic, dose, frequency and duration of treatment where therapy is indicated
- refer for X-rays and CT scans only where guidelines recommend in rhinosinusitis.