Mental Health Skills Training: Core Module
- : Sydney NSW 2000
If you are an Australian GP, you are able to access the additional mental health MBS item numbers (2712, 2713, 2715 and 2717) by completing the Mental Health Skills Training (Modular Pathway), which requires both a Mental Health Skills Training Core Moduleand a Clinical Enhancement Module to be completed.
This activity looks at the key diagnostic and management features for common mental illnesses, including depression, anxiety, bipolar and schizophrenia. The role of the primary care team is discussed together with the principles for best practice management of these conditions. A range of both pharmacological and non-pharmacological management modalities are explored through case studies.
By completing this learning activity, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate increased skill in detecting and assessing common mental illnesses by using the necessary abilities to undertake a systematic mental health assessment.
- Discuss the key management features of the common mental illnesses encountered in general practice, by developing an evidence-based GPMHTP for common mental illnesses.
- Recall the important co-morbidities associated with common mental illnesses and the impact these co-morbidities may have on patients.
- Understand the importance of consumer and carer psychoeducation by providing access to accurate and consumer friendly education materials.
- Discuss how to ensure patient safety by developing appropriate referral pathways and being aware of the indications for referral for specialist services.
This activity is accredited as a one part of a Mental Health Skills Training (Modular Pathway). To be able to access the additional mental health MBS item numbers (2712, 2713, 2715 and 2717), you must complete both this Mental Health Skills Training Core Module and a Clinical Enhancement Module.