One Day Basic Echo in Life Support
- : Online
This program which is constantly revised to reflect current practice is designed for physicians interested in ultrasound techniques useful in life threatening scenarios. This intensive program provides participants with tuition in basic physical principles, understanding of sonographic planes, terminology, measurements and probe manipulation skills, along with techniques involved in ultrasound Basic Echo in Life Support and Lung ultrasound. There is an emphasis on the practical aspects of these topics with comprehensive "hands-on" tuition, led by expert sonographers. Low student/tutor ratios ensure comprehensive practical tuition in a personalized fashion.
Total lecture hours:
Total simulated hours:
Personal study hours:
Total contact hours:
Pre-course (online material / posted to candidates) - 2 hours a. Physics and instrumentation pre-reading b. Pre-Test
Post-course One-year intranet access where former students can watch video, upload images and receive tailored feedback about their scanning progress.
On completion of the course the learner will be able to:
1. Identify the parameters of safe application of ultrasound in medical diagnosis;
2. Identify the physical principles, artefacts and the steps for image optimisation while performing ultrasound;
3. Recognise the sonographic appearances of normal and abnormal structures required to answer common clinical questions;
4. Practice "hands on" ultrasound scanning skills required to maximise diagnostic ability in answering relevant clinical questions;
5. Perform cardiac ultrasound related to basic life support;
6. Differentiate normal heart from major cardiovascular pathology, particularly in the critically ill patients;
7. Describe limitations and pitfalls of BELS protocol;
8. Recognize situations when a referral for a second opinion is indicated.
Accredited for 1 day Procedural Grant under any component.