Paediatric Update - Asthma and Allergies
- : Online
Join us for an informative evening aimed at equipping health professionals with the skills and knowledge necessary to diagnose and manage asthma and allergic conditions in children within the primary care setting.
Dr John Widger, Paediatric Respiratory and Sleep Physician, Staff Specialist and head Respiratory Medicine Sydney Children’s Hospital
Dr Paul Gray, Paediatric Immunologist , Sydney Children’s hospital
Following this activity, participants will be able to:
- Define the diagnosis of asthma and viral induced wheeze (VIW) in children and describe any management variations.
- Demonstrate confidence in managing children with asthma/VIW within a general practice setting
- Recognise when to refer a child with asthma according to the current, evidence based best practice in asthma management for children.
- Outline asthma medication options for children and employ practical skills to optimise use of medication delivery devices.
- Engage with parents/carers in conversations about adherence to their child’s asthma management plan to facilitate quality asthma care.
- Know when to start investigating for childhood allergy, especially food related allergy in childhood.
- Demonstrate sufficient knowledge to diagnose and manage common paediatric allergic conditions and recognise when referral to specialists’ services are required
- Explain the indications for, limitations of, and risks of investigating childhood allergies. What are the appropriate tests to order in general practice and interpretation of these tests ?
- Know when and how to advise parents re food avoidance for suspected food allergy.
- Discuss management of food related anaphylaxis and frequency of review and re-testing.
Target Audience: GPs, AHPs, Pharmacists and Practice Nurses
*Please note GP Registrars who wish to register for this CPD event and do not have a member number will need to contact the CPD Department on 1300 986 991
Please note, we will endeavour to accommodate all dietary requests, however if you register less than 2 business days before an event, we cannot guarantee your dietary requirements will be met. Please contact the CPD team if you have any questions.
This event is supported by our member networks. Registrations are essential.
Free street parking available after 6.00pm on Coward St
Allocated 4 Category 2 points in QI&CPD Program for the 2017-2019 triennium.
CESPHN CPD events (excluding CPR) are free to GPs and Allied Health Professionals who are financial members of their respective PHN member organisation as listed below. For GPs and Allied Health Professionals who are not financial members of a member organisation and wish to attend CESPHN CPD events, a $120 cover charge per event will be payable.
The PHN member organisations including their membership fees are:
• Central Sydney GP Network ($110)
• General Practice Eastern Sydney ($110)
• GP Crew Limited ($110)
• St George Division of General Practice ($110)
• Sutherland Division of General Practice ($110)
• Central and Eastern Sydney Allied Health Network ($110)
If you are not already a member of one of these organisations, and would like to join, or have any questions, please phone CESPHN Reception on 1300 986 991 or visit the membership page on the website.
Financial members can attend any event (excluding CPR) within their target audience for free! Please note practice managers and practice nurses are not required to be paid members at this point in time.
|Map and directions