Palliative care - Understanding the role of opioids
- : Online
This module will review the role of opioids for controlling pain in palliative care. It will include a discussion on the most commonly prescribed drugs and general principles for using opioids to achieve pain control in palliative care.
At the end of this module participants will be able to:
- Understand the role of the most commonly used opioids in palliative care.
- Understand the actions of each opioid.
- Identify situations for selecting appropriate opioids.
- Know the common interactions, precautions, and adverse effects of the common opioids.
- Know the patient education required when caring for a palliative care patient prescribed opioids.