Peritonitis – A complication of peritoneal dialysis
- : Online
Peritonitis is inflammation of the peritoneal membrane, which is usually the result of an infection. It is a common and a potentially life-threatening complication of peritoneal dialysis.
This module provides a brief overview of the risk factors, signs and symptoms, and treatment options for peritonitis. It is a good refresher for those working with patients with renal disease and brief introduction to those who may occasionally provide care to people having peritoneal dialysis.
At the end of this module participants will be able to:
- Understand the risk factors for peritonitis.
- Know the at-risk groups for peritonitis.
- Assist in preventing peritonitis by educating the at-risk groups.
- Know the signs and symptoms for peritonitis.
- Understand the recommended treatment for peritonitis.