Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine
- : Gold Coast Mc QLD 4217
Skin cancer is the most common dermatological condition seen in general practice – and it is not overly complex to manage if you have the right skill set. This certificate course has been specifically designed for time-poor general practitioners wishing to acquire the knowledge required to safely and confidently diagnose and treat commonly encountered skin lesions.
The course is delivered both face-to-face and online. The two-day face-to-face course combines interactive lectures, case discussions and surgical practical sessions on pork parts. The online course offers a flexible learning experience with video lectures and online case discussions with the presenters.
This course is the first part of the three-part Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Medicine. The education pathway is Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine, Advanced Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine and Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Medicine.ENTRY REQUIREMENTS AND COURSE REQUISITES
The Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine is the ideal starting point for medical professionals who wish to build their core knowledge in skin cancer management and acquire vital diagnostic skills and basic management techniques to provide effective care to patients with skin cancer concerns. Participants will learn proven techniques to independently and confidently diagnose and treat skin lesions in primary care. The course is suitable for general practitioners and the nurses and dermal therapists who work under their supervision, as well as for International Medical Graduates. The course assumes no prior knowledge or training in the field.COURSE CONTENTS
The course provides training in skin cancer medicine and teaches various techniques allowing GPs to treat more complex cases in the primary care setting. The program includes practical surgery sessions. Our team of surgical assistants will guide and support you as you practise the various surgical techniques.
The theory and practical sessions cover:
- Skin anatomy and histology
- Diagnosis with dermoscopy
- Benign and malignant skin lesions
- Melanoma management
- Topical treatment options
- Punch and shave biopsies
- Elliptical excisions and suturing
- Workflow and Medicare billing
Course participants will:
- Observe experts performing Skin Cancer Medicine techniques on a large screen with close-up camera
- Participate in discussion of patient cases, evaluate and make decisions
- Receive a comprehensive course folder and research/readings in the field
- Receive unlimited and ongoing access to free alumni learning resources, video lectures, and discussion forums, as well as invite-only events and special offers after completion of the course
- Receive ongoing support post-course through webinars and case review
- Have the opportunity to participate in optional clinical attachments at dedicated skin cancer clinics
|8:30am - 9:00am||Registration|
|9:00am - 10:30am||Session 1||The foundations
|10:30am - 11:00am||Morning Tea|
|11:00am - 12:30pm||Session 2||
An approach to pigmented skin lesions
|12:30pm - 1:30pm||Lunch|
|1:30pm - 2:45pm||Session 3||
Dermatopathology / Treatment
|2:45pm - 3:15pm||Afternoon Tea|
|3:15pm - 4:45pm||Session 4||
An approach to non-pigmented skin cancers
|7:45am - 8:00am||Arrival|
|8:00am - 10:00am||Session 5||
Skin cancer business management
|10:00am - 10.30am||Morning Tea|
|10:30am - 11:30am||Session 6||
|11:30am - 12:30pm||Lunch|
|12:30pm - 2:00pm||Session 7||
Surgery practical 1
|2:00pm - 2:30pm||Afternoon Tea|
|2:30pm - 4:00pm||Session 8||
Surgery practical 2
Your instructors are widely regarded as some of the world’s foremost specialists in skin cancer medicine and business management, including:
Prof David Wilkinson
MBChB MSc MD PhD DSc MRCP FRACGP FACRRM FAFPHM
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Macquarie University, Sydney
Dr Simon Clark
MBChB FRCPA Specialist
Honorary Lecturer in Pathology, The University of Queensland
Dr Hamilton Ayres
BA, BSc, BMBS, FRACGP
Skin Cancer Doctor, National Skin Cancer Centres, Monash
Dr Scott Arnold
Senior Lecturer (Skin Cancer), The University of Queensland, Australia
Mr Paul Elmslie
Founder and CEO of HealthCert InternationalGOLD COAST 15 - 16 JUNE 2019
Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition CentreDELIVERY FORMAT 1: FACE-TO-FACE
The Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine is designed as a face-to-face course that is supported by online materials. There are eight units in a HealthCert Professional Certificate program. Course learning materials will be available for a minimum of 15 weeks. There will be pre-reading activities, an intensive weekend program with expert demonstrations and practical hands-on activities, online materials and further readings, individual assessment tasks and finally two online examinations.
What you get for your one-off investment:
- Online pre-course activity (to be completed in your own time prior to the course component).
- Two-day practical course including catering.
- All materials including surgical instruments and consumables for practical sessions.
- Full-colour workbook including all presentation slides.
- Additional online training in dermoscopy.
- 18 video-based lectures for reference and review for life.
- Post-course online assessment (to be completed in your own time within three months of attending the program).
- Post-course support in monthly webinars with the opportunity to discuss cases with course presenters.
In order to meet the requirements of professional and academic learning, the course assessment includes a professional requirement and two online examinations.
- Develop a one-page report/explanation of how you will use the learning from this course in your professional work.
- 88 knowledge questions based on a scenario of a medical practitioner undertaking special interest training.
- 11 per module
Example: The medical practitioner believes that 10% of the population … Is he correct? Yes/No
- 11 per module
- 88 authentic scenario based questions based on cases of patient care at a clinic
- 11 per module
Example: A patient arrives at your clinic with this problem … What should you do? Multiple choice images based on patient cases.
- 11 per module
The knowledge-based examination is worth 50 per cent and the application-based examination is worth 50 per cent. The overall pass mark is 80 per cent. It is therefore not possible to pass this course on knowledge alone. Knowledge must be successfully applied to patient cases in order to pass the course.
HealthCert recommends completion of the assessment at your convenience within three months of the completion of the course (or enrolling in the online course).CERTIFICATION AND ACCREDITATION
Upon successful completion of the course requirements, course participants will receive the Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine.
The course has been approved for the Training Grant for Rural and Remote Procedural GPs Program (Procedural Grant Program).
RACGP: 80 Category 1 QI&CPD points
ACRRM: 30 PRPD + 30 Surgery MOPS points
RACGP: 40 Category 1 QI&CPD points
ACRRM: 30 PRPD Points
This certificate course:
- Is recognised by Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners (RNZCGP)
- Is accredited by The Skin Cancer Institute (SCI) and may be used as part of an application for Certified Skin Cancer Doctor credentials.
- Has been collaboratively designed with, and is annually reviewed by, Professor David Wilkinson, Deputy Vice Chancellor at Macquarie University.
- Has been independently developed with subject specialists and does not receive education grants from any pharmaceutical company