Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Surgery
- : Sydney NSW
The Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Surgery provides an essential step towards subspecialisation in skin cancer surgery. You will learn the most advanced surgery techniques on atomically complex and cosmetically sensitive areas. This highly practical course is led by noted skin cancer doctors and a team of experienced GPs to assist you in your practice. The program covers surgical procedures for the nose and the lower limb, reconstruction of alar and sidewall nasal defects, reconstruction of the nasal tip and glabellar defects, skin grafts and flaps for the lower limb.
This course is the third part of the three-part Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Surgery. The education pathway is Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Surgery, Advanced Certificate of Skin Cancer Surgery and Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Surgery.
The course provides advanced training in skin cancer surgery and teaches various techniques allowing GPs to treat more complex cases in the primary care setting. The program includes practical surgery sessions. Our team of surgical assistants will guide and support you as you practise the various surgical techniques.
The theory and practical sessions cover:
- Anatomy of nose, eyelids, lips and ears
- Reconstruction of alar and nasal tip defects of the nose and the bilobed flap
- Reconstruction of lower eyelid defects
- Reconstruction of complex lip and ear defects
- Lower limb anatomy and surgical planning
- A review of perforator island flaps for the lower limb: Bezier and Keystone flaps
Course participants will:
- Observe experts performing skin cancer surgery techniques on a large screen with close-up camera
- Perform surgical techniques in a simulated environment and receive feedback
- Participate in online discussion of patient cases, evaluate and make decisions
- Receive a comprehensive course folder and research/readings in the field
- Receive ongoing support post-course through webinars and case review
- Optional surgical clinical attachments are also available at dedicated skin cancer clinics
This certificate course:
- Is recognised by Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners (RNZCGP).
- Is accredited by the Skin Cancer Institute (SCI) and may be used as part of an application for Certified Skin Cancer Doctor credentials.
- Qualifies for a clinical attachment in France at the University of Lyon
- Qualifies for a clinical attachment in Austria at the University of Vienna
- Has been collaboratively designed with, and is annually reviewed by, Professor David Wilkinson, Deputy Vice Chancellor at Macquarie University.