PS - Practical Skills
- : Online
- Are you looking for a refresher in practical skills such as plastering, suturing, eye and ear assessment?
- Do you want to gain some practical skills for going remote?
The CRANAplus Practical Skills (PS) Course is based on best practice principles and provides the health workforce with an opportunity to receive instruction in, and practice of, key skills needed in the remote and isolated setting including:
- Ear assessment
- Management of Eye Injuries
- Wound Closure & Suturing
- Plaster Back Slabbing of upper and lower limbs.
CRANAplus encourages candidates to apply the knowledge and skills learnt within the context of the policies of the employing health service and within each individual’s own scope of practice.
Who is this course for?
The course is designed to meet the learning needs of the remote and isolated workforce (Nurses, Paramedics, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Practitioners and Medical Officers) who may be required to utilise these practical skills in their workplace.
If you have any queries about the course or its relevance to your practice, please contact the Clinical Educator Team.
The CRANAplus Practical Skills Course consists of 2 components:
- Online pre-learning and assessments that must be completed one week before the course
- Four Practical Skills online theory modules and assessments — approx. 8 hours of study
- Attendance at a one day workshop consisting of lectures, skill stations and practical based scenarios.
- Identify basic anatomy of the ear, common presentations of ear conditions and their assessment and management.
- Demonstrate the use of an otoscope in ear examination.
- Identify basic anatomy of the eye, common presentations of eye conditions/injuries and their assessment and management.
- Develop knowledge of the pathophysiology and management of common fractures of upper and lower limbs including neurovascular assessment.
- Demonstrate backslab application to upper and lower limbs and identify complications of backslab application and removal.
- Describe the assessment and management of lacerations including simple wound closure using interrupted sutures.
- Describe the use of local anaesthesia including digital blocks.
- Demonstrate simple wound closure.
- A CRANAplus Practical Skills Course Certificate (Valid for 2 years)