Psychologist Registration Program
Pathways Psychology Institute’s 4 + 2 internship program meets requirements for training towards registration as a Psychologist with the Psychology Board of Australia.
This program provides you with guidance in completing all requirements, individual and group supervision, some face to face client exposure (all interns will need to be proactive in bringing clients to the clinic for supervised practice).
Additionally an Intern may choose to also complete our Graduate Diploma of Trauma-Informed Processwork Psychotherapy.
PACFA (Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation Australia) is the national peak body for professional associations within the Counselling and Psychotherapy profession. Our PACFA accredited course (included as part of your 4 & 2 Internship Program) will introduce you to effective counselling skills; learning to read the unique ‘signals’ of each client to design appropriate psychological interventions specific to individual needs.
On completion of this combined 4 & 2 Internship Program you will register as a psychologist with the Psychology Board of Australia (AHPRA) and register as a counsellor/psychotherapist with PACFA and ACA.
Who is this program for?
Our newly updated psychology registration program is designed for graduates of a 4-year psychology degree who want to complete supervised work experience requirements for registration as a psychologist with the Psychology Board of Australia (AHPRA). Our program is designed to train psychology interns in understanding the dynamics of clients (including individuals, couples, families and groups) and to be skilled at applying these to real situations.
Whether you are new to working with actual clients, or have significant past experience, we provide the structure in which you can:
- Increase your abilities in working effectively with clients, specifically learning to read the clients signals to assess the efficacy of each intervention;
- Expand and deepen your knowledge and understanding;
- Improve your interpersonal skills and ability to effectively provide effective psychological counselling and facilitate different perspectives;
- Learn a large range of interventions to address and resolve the difficulties for each individual, couple or group/organisational case.
This registration training hopes to inspire you to bring your creativity to the work you do with others, encouraging transformational change, personal development and ‘meaning’ in your clients’ lives.
What is the program about?
This program meets all the requirements of the Psychology Board of Australia.
Approximately 31 hours/week over 2 years is needed to meet all the Psychology Board requirements for supervision, training and placement. Our placement requires a capacity to work independently and autonomously to develop projects and take them through to completion. Support and guidance is provided; however, you are expected to do a lot of work on your own initiative and/or within a team. This program is not suitable for someone who is not able to apply his/her own initiative to developing a group community project within our counselling clinic.
The Psychology Board of Australia Practice framework for the 4+2 internship (program requirements indicating which aspects Pathways provided directly and which the student has responsibility to develop with the support and guidance of Pathways):
- Supervision 160 hours
- At least 100 hours of individual (one-on-one) supervision. (Provided by Pathways directly)
- The remaining 60 hours of supervision can be small group supervision, or other supervision activities. (Provided by Pathways directly)
- Professional development 120hours
- 120 hours of professional development must be spread across the course of the 2 year internship (Provided by Pathways directly).
- Psychological practice – direct client contact 1,000hrs
- Minimum 1,000 hours, including at least 850 hours of real client contact.(Pathways provides support and guidance to the intern who has responsibility to develop their psychological practice within an organization. Pathways has a partnership with One Step at a Time Counselling Clinic, where the interns may complete client contact hours).
- Up to 150 hours may be simulated direct client contact (provided by Pathways)
- Psychological practice – client-related activities 1,720hrs
- Client related activities are all the other activities necessary for the internship and not already logged as supervision, professional development or client contact. (Pathways provides support and guidance to the intern who has responsibility to develop their psychological practice within an organization. Pathways has a partnership with One Step at a Time Counselling Clinic, where the interns may complete client-related activities hours).
Entrance Requirements and Application Process:
The Psychology Registration Program requires:
When & Where:
Provisional psychologists will attend weekly scheduled supervision, placement and professional development sessions.
Some attendance required at our Galston Clinic rooms, 6 Belbowrie Close, GALSTON. New South Wales
How much does it cost?
Applicants must speak with the head of training, Yelena Udy, concerning their situation and the cost of their Psychology Registration Program. This training costs approximately $30,000.00 but there are several options which may decrease or increase this cost.
- DBT Standard Workshop
- Posted By Psychology Training
- Posted Date: 2021-01-07
- Location:Perth WA 6000
- Workshops delivered traditional face to face format Workshops will start at 9 AM and conclude at ...
- Self-Regulation: Strategies and Interventions for ...
- Posted By Training and Training Resources Australia (TATRA)
- Posted Date: 2020-12-15
- Includes introduction of over 15 practical, age-appropriate (including play-based) interventions
- Certificate in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
- Posted By CBT Australia
- Posted Date: 2020-12-15
- Develop a thorough theoretical understanding of cognitive behaviour therapy and the skills
- Supervisor training for psychologists
- Posted By Deakin University
- Posted Date: 2020-12-15
- Location:Waurn Ponds VIC 3216
- Designed to meet the needs of registered psychologists who seek supervisor endorsement