Respiratory System Assessment
- : Online
This program is designed to develop the participant’s current knowledge of the principles and practice of respiratory assessment and management. For the generalist nurse, opportunities to undertake further study related to conducting a comprehensive physical assessment may have been limited.
For this reason, the program briefly revises the anatomy and physiology of the respiratory system and the foundation physical assessment strategies of inspection, palpation, percussion and auscultation as they relate to respiratory assessment. This comprehensive program also includes a section on the management of the patient receiving oxygen therapy.Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Name the anatomical structures of the respiratory system.
- Identify appropriate strategies to assess airway and breathing in a variety of situations.
- Recognise the differences between a routine assessment and an emergency assessment.
- Relate characteristics of normal and abnormal breath sounds to likely causes.
- Identify uses and clinical considerations of oximetry.
- Identify appropriate interventions when airway and breathing is ineffective.
- Determine the most appropriate method of oxygen administration for a variety of patient presentations.
- Outline management of a patient receiving oxygen therapy.
This respiratory assessment online nurse education program is suitable for enrolled nurses and registered nurses who require their CPD (continuing professional development).