The Dynamics and Dilemmas of Drugs in Dentistry
- : Online
The medications our patients are taking are constantly changing. These medications include prescribed, over the counter and recreational substances. As dentists, we are expected to know just as much about the drugs we prescribe and the ones we don’t’.
The overall aim of this course is become updated and better versed
with the numerous drug classes, how they are used and to improve our prescribing habits. This will lead to superior patient management.
Topics to be covered include:
- Principles of prescribing in dentistry.
- Special patient groups – (Children, elderly, geriatrics, palliative care, pregnant and breastfeeding, hepatic and renal impairment, obese patients, substance abuse and addiction, and more).
- Patient medical history analysis & Prescription writing techniques.
- Medicinal pharmacology in dentistry.
- The 8 A’s in Dental prescribing.
- Case studies.
- Drug interactions and drug substitutions.
- OTC (over-the-counter) and herbal remedies.
- Drugs for your dental practice.
- Drug information centers and reference texts for dental practices.
- Future drugs in dentistry.
Dr Andrei Tutoveanu is a dual qualified and registered Dental Practitioner & Pharmacist, having attaining a Bachelor of Medical Science- specialising in medicinal chemistry, a Masters of Pharmacy and a Bachelor of Dentistry.
Dr Tutoveanu has special interests in the areas of medicinal indications, dosage regimens, specific contraindications and side effect profiles, including ideal therapeutic combinations, within all clinical aspects of dentistry. Not only does he lecture to dentists, he is equally an active keynote speaker for the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia (PSA) and editorial contributor for the Australian Pharmacist (AP). Andrei works at his private practice in the heart of Mosman, on the Lower North Shore of Sydney.