This is a Promoted Post!
The prevention and early detection of skin cancer in general practice
- : South Wharf VIC 3006
Once you have completed this ALM, please contribute to the discussion forum for this activity.
This ALM will guide GPs through the epidemiology of skin cancers in Australia, skin cancer prevention, balanced approach to UV and vitamin D awareness and the diagnosis and management of melanoma and the most common non-melanoma skin cancers.
This education is also available as three separate 2 hour activities; Biopsy Techniques, Skin Cancer Prevention & Vitamin D, Diagnosis and management of non-melanoma skin cancer and Diagnosis and treatment of melanoma. The separate activities may be applicable to you if you do not want to complete the ALM, and are only interested in one or two of the topics.
By completing this learning activity, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the UV index and the SunSmart UV alert while also understanding sun exposure and sun protection recommendations for maintaining sufficient vitamin D levels.
- Describe the clinical diagnosis and management of the most common skin cancers in Australia.
- Relate the epidemiology and anatomical distribution of the most common skin cancers in Australia.
- Identify clinical and histopathological features of lesions indicating the need for specialist referral.
- Select biopsy techniques for suspicious lesions and know the appropriate excision margins for melanoma according to Breslow thickness.
- Improve patient safety appreciating the importance of a systematic approach to the full skin examination and educating patients regarding skin cancer prevention.
Dr Sarah McDonald, Clinical Fellow, Victorian Melanoma Service
Dr Alvin Chong, Senior Lecturer in Dermatology, University of Melbourne
Philippa Davis, Primary Health Program, Cancer Council Victoria
Shannon Jones, SunSmart Victoria, Cancer Council Victoria
This education was prepared by ThinkGP.
|The Prevention and Early Detection of Skin Cancer in General Practice - predisposing activity|
|Module 1 - Biopsy techniques, skin cancer prevention & vitamin D|
|Module 2 - Diagnosis and management of non-melanoma skin cancer|
|Module 3 - Diagnosis and treatment of melanoma|
|The Prevention and Early Detection of Skin Cancer in General Practice - reinforcing activity|
|The prevention and early detection of skin cancer in general practice - evaluation|