ThinkGP Live Adelaide: Mental Health Skills Training
- : adelaide
This case-study based ALM provides an overview of the diagnosis and management of mental illnesses commonly encountered in general practice, including depression, anxiety, bipolar and schizophrenia. You will learn about pharmacological and non-pharmacological management options and how primary care teams can assist in achieving best outcomes.
- Demonstrate increased skill in detecting and assessing common mental illnesses by using the necessary abilities to undertake a systematic mental health assessment.
- Discuss the key management features of the common mental illnesses encountered in general practice, by developing an evidence-based GPMHTP for common mental illnesses.
- Recall the important co-morbidities associated with common mental illnesses and the impact these co-morbidities may have on patients.
- Understand the importance of consumer and carer psychoeducation by providing access to accurate and consumer friendly education materials.
- Discuss how to ensure patient safety by developing appropriate referral pathways and being aware of the indications for referral for specialist services.
Mental Health Medicare Rebate
GP Mental Health Treatment Medicare items were introduced on to the Medicare Benefits Schedule in November 2011. Completion of this ALM enables GPs access to the higher MHST rebate.
Mental Health Treatment MBS item numbers:
MBS items 2700, 2701, 2715 or 2717 - Preparation of a GP Mental Health Treatment Plan
MBS item 2712 - Review of a GP Mental Health Treatment Plan
MBS item 2713 - GP Mental Health Treatment Consultation
How will Medicare Australia know which item number I can claim?
The GPMHSC will provide Medicare Australia a list of those GPs who have completed the requisite training and are therefore eligible to access the higher schedule fee. Those GPs who are not on this list will only be able to access the lower schedule fee.
8:00am Registration and Refreshment
8:30am - 10:30am MHST Part 1
Diagnosis of Depression and Anxiety
10:30am - 11:00am Morning Tea
11:00am - 1:00pm MHST Part 2
Management of Depression and Anxiety
1:00pm - 1:45pm Lunch
1:45pm - 3:45pm MHST Part 3
GP Mental Health Treatment Plan and MBS item numbers
3:45pm - 4:30pm Afternoon Tea
Register now - http://bit.ly/2dMls8Q