Understanding Foundational Pharmacokinetics
- : Online
This learning program is designed to introduce you to the fundamentals of pharmacokinetics. Almost all of us have taken medication at some point in our lives, whether it has been to ease the throbbing pain of a headache or a sprained ankle, to lower our cholesterol, to treat an infection, or for any number of ailments. Despite this, we rarely devote much thought to what happens to that drug once we take the pill or get the injection. How does the drug get into our bodies and where does it go once it is inside? What does our body do to the drug? How does our body get rid of the drug and how long does it take to be removed? These questions are the focus of the field of pharmacokinetics. With this program, you will first learn about the basic concepts of pharmacokinetics, followed by in-depth discussions of the concepts underlying the pharmacokinetic processes of drug absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion.
Upon completion of this learning program, you will be able to::
- Define pharmacokinetics.
- Recall the basic concepts in pharmacokinetics.
- Identify the key factors underlying the process of drug absorption.
- Describe the factors affecting distribution of drugs in the body after absorption.
- Identify the mechanisms and consequences of drug metabolism.
- Recall the mechanisms and measurement of drug excretion.