- : Online
This learning program is designed to introduce you to the functions, physiology, and clinical characteristics of sleep. The program begins with a brief overview of the benefits of sleep and the inherent dangers of sleep deprivation. You will go on to learn about the neurophysiologic regulation of wakefulness, sleep, and the transition between these 2 states, and about the influence of the circadian rhythm on the sleep cycle. The program concludes with an overview of the distinct stages comprising the sleep cycle, collectively known as the sleep architecture
Upon completion of this learning program, you will be able to::
- List the many beneficial effects of sleep.
- Recall the factors impacting sleep and the consequences of sleep deprivation.
- Describe the neurological pathways involved in wakefulness and sleep.
- Identify the neurotransmitters involved in sleep.
- Match the distinctive stages of sleep with their characteristic features.
- Popup: Cognitive Function, Memory, and Learning
- Popup: Well-being and Pain
- Popup: Cellular Growth and Repair
- Popup: Immunity