Understanding the Physiology of Pain
- : Online
This learning program is designed to introduce you to the physiology of pain. It begins with a brief overview, followed by an in-depth discussion about the physiological features of pain. You will then learn about the classification of pain and the distinguishing features of different types of pain. Progress checks and pop quizzes throughout the program will help reinforce key concepts. A final assessment at the end of the program will evaluate your ability to meet the learning objectives. Interactive content throughout the program may be covered in the final assessment.
Upon completion of this learning program, you will be able to::
- Contrast fast-sharp pain with slow-chronic pain.
- List the 3 types of pain stimuli that activate pain receptors.
- Compare the 2 pathways for transmission of pain signals.
- Describe how pain is enhanced or suppressed by pain modulation pathways.
- Explain how pain is classified.