Accreditation in Neuroprotective Developmental Care (NDC)
Accreditation in Neuroprotective Developmental Care (NDC) or the "Possums Programs"
NDC accreditation offers health professionals innovative clinical tools and a wealth of resources for assisting parents with breastfeeding, sleep, unsettled infant behaviour and mental health challenges.
By registering to become an NDC accredited practitioner you will join 250 health professionals globally who are currently in our NDC pathway. NDC pathway participants have access to the following:
- Masterclass videos
- Weekly live network hours
- Observation classes
- Final exams to accreditation
- Closed NDC Facebook page
- Online resources and material
- Monthly clinical demonstrations
- Peer support
NDC is a genuine paradigm shift - we flip much of the popular advice parents receive upside down. Our programs, developed out of 15 years of research, integrate the very latest lactation science, including ultrasound studies on the biomechanics of infant suck, neuroscience, evolutionary biology, gut science, sleep science, attachment psychology and a set of powerful psychological strategies known as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy.
We offer health professionals:
- Introductory online workshops
- Online Masterclasses, as part of the NDC Accreditation Pathway
- Neuroprotective Developmental Care Accreditation Pathway
- An annual online Conference
Once health professionals become NDC accredited practitioners, their profile and location of practice is made available on the Possums & Co website.
1. Registered Health Professional
2. Completion of Introductory Workshops: "Evidence-based care of mothers and babies" and "Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for Perinatal and Infant Mental Health". Currently available online (2 x $50 if you are registered for a Masterclass or proceeding with NDC Accreditation).
The 2 introductory workshops below are the pre-requisites for the NDC pathway as they provide the evidence-base underlying Neuroprotective Developmental Care.
They are currently available online (2 x $50 if you are registered for a Masterclass or if you are proceeding with NDC Accreditation)
Masterclasses - Online "Live" and Recorded
The Masterclasses are an important component of NDC accreditation.
You can do the Masterclasses first before undertaking the NDC Accreditation Pathway, or you could join up now to the NDC Accreditation Pathway and do the Masterclasses later on.
Following are the two types of Masterclasses available:
- "Live" online Masterclasses (total $500 or $450). Our next "live" online Masterclasses will be held in 2 hour modules over 6 weeks, commencing 4 March 2021. https://education.possumsonline.com/events
2. Recorded Masterclasses Online (total $500) available for
viewing in your own time. These Masterclasses are ideal for
those who have registered with the NDC Accreditation pathway
and can't attend the live, "online" Masterclasses.
NDC Accreditation Pathway Content
You will have immediate access to the following content:
- Live NDC Network Hours, facilitated by Associate Professor (Adj) Pamela Douglas, GP-Lactation Consultant, Researcher, Medical Director of Possums & Co
Ms Renee Keogh, RN-Lactation Consultant, NDC Accredited Practitioner
(minimum attendance 12 hours).
- Closed NDC Network Facebook pages for health professional peer support
- NDC clinical tools including videos and sets of photographs for use in your consultations
- NDC parent handouts
- Practice set-up list
- Research publications detailing the NDC evidence-base
- Powerpoints of presentations by Dr Pamela Douglas (2015 onwards)
- 12 hours of videoed presentations of evidence-update ("New Clinical Tools: Mood, Breastfeeds, Sleep and Crying- the Possums' Conference" February 2017)
Join the 250 health professionals globally who are currently in our Neuroprotective Developmental Care (NDC) accreditation pathway.
Interactive and engaging with:
* Masterclass videos
* Weekly live network hours
* Observation classes
* Final exams to accreditation
* Closed NDC Facebook page
* Online resources and material
* Monthly clinical demonstrations
* Peer support
Developed in 2011 by Dr Pamela Douglas, international leader in baby care
Dr Pamela Douglas is Founder and Medical Director of The Possums Clinic and Possums for Parents with Babies. She has been a GP since 1987, and developed the Neuroprotective Developmental Care (NDC) or Possums programs out of her clinical experience and 20 years of research with various Australian and international teams. She first qualified as an International Board Certified Lactation consultant in 1994, and established the Possums Clinic in Brisbane in 2011. Dr Douglas is also an ACT therapist and breastfeeding medicine specialist. She is passionate about supporting families who are facing breastfeeding, unsettled baby behaviour, and other early life challenges.
Dr Douglas continues to collaborate with various research teams including the Durham Infancy and sleep Centre in the UK, the Hartmann Human Lactation Research Group at the University of Western Australia, and Mater Research, further developing the uniquely effective NDC programs which are delivered in the Brisbane Possums Clinic and by the growing numbers of NDC practitioners whom she educates, nationally and internationally.
Dr Douglas is also author of the best-selling The discontented little baby book: all you need to know about feeds, sleep and crying.
Renee Keogh is a Registered Nurse, accredited in Neuroprotective Developmental Care ('the Possums programs') and Lactation Consultant with seventeen years experience working in Neonatal Intensive Care units in Sydney, Canberra and Darwin. She completeda Graduate certificate in neonatal intensive care nursing in 2004 and qualified as an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant in 2010. Renee aims to empower parents by offering clinical assistance, information and support. She offers holistic care not just for breastfeeding problems, but also for problems of unsettled infant behaviour, feeds and sleep throughout the first year of life.
- Advanced Clinical Skills for Breastfeeding, Mood a...
- Posted By Possums & Co
- Posted Date: 2021-03-22
- Location:West End QLD 4101
- Be part of a deep dive into what’s new in evidence-based clinical support of mothers and babies.
- Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Leadership
- Posted By Southern Cross University
- Posted Date: 2021-03-18
- An entry-level management course introducing students to critical concepts of accountability, policy
- Advanced Clinical Skills for Management of Breastf...
- Posted By Possums & Co.
- Posted Date: 2021-02-15
- Location:West End QLD 4101
- Masterclasses in Neuroprotective Developmental Care (The Possums Programs)
- Working as a Consultant in a Private Hospital Webi...
- Posted By Australian Medical Association (NSW)
- Posted Date: 2021-02-09
- This webinar will be informative for those commencing and those working in private practice