ALSO Preparation In Maternity Safety - PIMS
The PIMS (Preparation in Maternity Safety) course is for those in the early stages of their obstetric or midwifery career, or those seeking a refresher.
Who Should Attend?
- Medical and Midwifery Students
- Newly Graduated Midwives
- Junior House Officers or Resident Medical Officers (PGY1 and PGY2)
- Doctors considering a career in general practice
- RFDS nurses or paramedics
- Nurses considering doing midwifery education in the future
- Experienced doctors or midwives seeking to refresh their knowledge and skills in normal aspects of maternity care
The course covers the basic knowledge and skills needed to provide quality maternity care. Workshops include sessions on antenatal care and creating the birth space and normal birth, management of the 3rd and 4th stage of labour, neonatal resuscitation and managing some o the common emergencies in labour (eg. postpartum haemorrhage). Lectures are on topics including perinatal psycho-social health, collaborative care of the clinically deteriorating woman, obstetric and medical complications in pregnancy. How to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team is a critical focus of the course.