In response to COVID-19, the University of Sydney has reviewed the availability of courses to be delivered remotely for students commencing their studies in Semester 1, 2021.
This course will be available to study remotely for students commencing in Semester 1, 2021. Please note that some units of study that are not essential to completing the degree may not be available to be studied remotely.
Note: The University intends to offer as many units of study as possible in a remote as well as face-to-face learning method of delivery in Semester 1, 2021 and subject to ongoing border closures and public health orders impacting attendance on campus, in Semester 2, 2021. However, some units of study and courses require students to study in-person at the relevant University of Sydney campus/es and host locations for placements and will not be available remotely.
About this course
The course was developed and is delivered in collaboration with Breast Surgeons of Australia and New Zealand Inc (BreastSurgANZ). The coursework is designed to provide breast surgeons with the latest knowledge of breast oncology and breast surgical and oncoplastic techniques.
Why study with us?
- The course is taught by leading breast surgeons, and other clinicians including medical oncologists, radiologists and geneticists.
- In this program, you will gain a comprehensive understanding of benign and malignant breast conditions. This includes screening, risk assessment and the genetics of breast diseases, and recent advances in the understanding of the pathogenesis, assessment and management of malignant breast disease.
- You will gain an understanding of the multidisciplinary care of breast cancer patients, including adjuvant and neoadjuvant chemotherapy, radiotherapy, endocrine therapy as well as the integral role of the breast care nurse and other allied health staff.
- The knowledge you develop will complement the practical experience gained during post-fellowship training offered by BreastSurgANZ, and will augment your research, leadership and communication skills.
- You will learn specific surgical decision algorithms and surgical options for malignant and in situ disease and also gain thorough understanding of Level 1 and 2 oncoplastic breast surgical techniques.
How will you learn?
The breast surgery coursework and assessment is delivered fully online with lectures and podcasts, surgical videos and other educational resources supplemented by online discussion and webinars.
Who should study this course?
The course is suitable for Fellows of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in General Surgery or equivalent, who are training or have completed training, in breast surgery.
- Faculty/University School: Faculty of Medicine and Health
- Credit points required: 36
- Course abbreviation: GradDipAdvSurg(BreastSurg)
- USyd code: GNADVSUR1BSU
- UAC code: N/A
- Study mode: Online/Intensive
- Study type: PGCW
- Location: Camperdown/Darlington
- Duration full time: NA
- Duration part time: 2 - 3 years
What you'll study
The Graduate Diploma in Advanced Surgery requires the successful completion of 36 credit points of units of study including:
- 24 credit points of surgery selective units of study; and
- 12 credit points of elective units of study.
Students must complete the following 24 credit point (CP) surgery selective units of study in sequence, one each semester:
- Basic Sciences and Benign Disease (6CP)
- Malignant Breast Disease & MDTs (6CP)
- Oncoplastic Breast Surgery I (6CP)
- Oncoplastic Breast Surgery II (6CP)
In addition, students must complete 2 elective units of study from a selection including Genomics in Clinical Practice, Health Technology Evaluation, Trial Design and Methods, Drugs and Devices: R and D to Registration, Commercialising MedTech and Pharma, Leadership in Organisations.